Day 4 Proverbs 4
Security in Wisdom
1 Hear, my children, the instruction of a father,
And give attention to know understanding;
2 For I give you good doctrine:
Do not forsake my law.
3 When I was my fatherâ€™s son,
Tender and the only one in the sight of my mother,
4 He also taught me, and said to me:
â€ś Let your heart retain my words;
Keep my commands, and live.
5 Get wisdom! Get understanding!
Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you;
Love her, and she will keep you.
7 Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
8 Exalt her, and she will promote you;
She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
9 She will place on your head an ornament of grace;
A crown of glory she will deliver to you.â€ť
10 Hear, my son, and receive my sayings,
And the years of your life will be many.
11 I have taught you in the way of wisdom;
I have led you in right paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hindered,
And when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go;
Keep her, for she is your life.
14 Do not enter the path of the wicked,
And do not walk in the way of evil.
15 Avoid it, do not travel on it;
Turn away from it and pass on.
16 For they do not sleep unless they have done evil;
And their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall.
17 For they eat the bread of wickedness,
And drink the wine of violence.
18 But the path of the just is like the shining sun,[a]
That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.
19 The way of the wicked is like darkness;
They do not know what makes them stumble.
20 My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21 Do not let them depart from your eyes;
Keep them in the midst of your heart;
22 For they are life to those who find them,
And health to all their flesh.
23 Keep your heart with all diligence,
For out of it spring the issues of life.
24 Put away from you a deceitful mouth,
And put perverse lips far from you.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead,
And your eyelids look right before you.
26 Ponder the path of your feet,
And let all your ways be established.
27 Do not turn to the right or the left;
Remove your foot from evil.
Get wisdom! Get understanding. Don’t forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Don’t forsake her, and she will pursue you. Love her and she will keep you. Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom. And with all your getting, get understanding.
Again…Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom. And with all your getting; get understanding.
Proverbs 3:13, 14
Happy is the man who finds wisdom,
And the man who gains understanding;
For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver,
And her gain than fine gold.
â€śAgain, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Let’s look at this and understand it. Ok, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.
* Someone hid the treasure in a field
* Which a man found and hid
* A man found the treasure in the field and he hid it again.
* Instead of going out and selling it, he hid it again. He wanted to keep it for himself
* Who does that? Who keeps hidden treasure instead of selling it or putting it on display? Someone who knows its true value. To this person this treasure is priceless and no amount of money could equal its value.
* Why would he hide it? Because he knows that it is valuable and thieves might come and attempt to steal it from him, but if he didn’t sell it put put it on display.
* For joy over it, he comes and sells all the he has and buys that field.
* Why does he sell his possessions? Again, this man knows the value of his treasure and his actions will profit him more this way.
* Why does he buy the field? The person before him probably didn’t own the field, but just found a place to hide the treasure. If the owner of the field knew what was in it, he never would have sold the field. So this man bought the field to make sure that his treasure will always be safe and its value would never be lost.
How does this relate to Proverbs 4:7. Wisdom is what will bring us happiness. In finding wisdom and hiding it in our hearts, it will be priceless to us as we see the results of using wisdom.
Wisdom’s word to the wise as it states in verse 23, “keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it springs the issues of life.